Friday 23 December 2016

Machu Picchu, Condor Altar.

The pictures I have of the shrine / altar of the Condor are not great.  It is too hard to seperate the background from the foreground.  I would also have loved to take a few from the preist's position between the wings.  I think having someone standing on the spot between the wings would lend both perspective and connection to the photos.

I really do not have much to say about the space, other than to agree with the ancients that the wing shape does evoke thoughts of birds, air and the peace found in the echo of that shape in stone.

The first shot, you can clearly see the platform area between the wings, but the angle is wrong to really catch the shape.





I really enjoy the whole experience of Machu Picchu, the isolation from the modern world, the expanse of stone, the size and sheer volume of work that went into creating the city and the planning and forethought that makes the whole place fit into its surroundings.

I have mentioned before that to me the Inca were very fine in the use of stone, but more than that because they worked in stone, they planned things out.  The layout of the city was not by happenstance, not an organic growth, but one that grew on a careful pattern established quite early.


No comments:

Post a Comment