Wednesday 22 April 2020

Living through a re-set

Life can hit the re-set button.

Many people have experienced this through normal events.  Marriage, the birth of a child or death of a loved one can all affect your outlook on life and call for you to re-examine priorities.

My re-set was caused by an accident at work over 12 years ago, and I am still working on the consequences of that re-set.  I have let go of many of my material possessions, and tried to quell the desire to accumulate stuff.  I still have that want for more, I just have learned to mute it better.

Now the world has been faced with a re-set, and consumerism has been slapped in the face with the difference between need and want.

We now know that a CEO is far less essential than the guy driving a truck or emptying your trash bucket.

What we as a society do with that information during the next few years could be quite telling.  I think we are all in for a blitz of propaganda that is aimed at telling us what we need instead of a measured discourse asking us what we need.  And thanks to large corporations, they will have large budgets to scream the message they want heard, but we will need to coax out the inner voices, the ones amplified by the current crisis and listen to them instead.

What I learned during my re-set was that I do not need a home, I do not need a fancy car, I do not need a large bank account.

I do need friends.   I do need family.  I do need a comfy place to sleep, and I really like a kitchen to work in.  Dogs to pet and cats to cuddle.  Conversation that is relevant to my current day.  Books to get lost in.  Water to watch as it flows in and out of my life.  Weather to remind me that we humans are small and puny.  And the ability to make friends and family smile and laugh and share joy.

And I think that last bit is the most important thing I can say.

We all need to share joy, however we can and wherever we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment