Wednesday 14 May 2014

Back in Canada

I am sure anyone who has traveled has had the feeling of - at last, home soil - when they cross the border back into the country they call home.  I had been away approximately nine months when I finally crossed the border back into Canada.  I must admit the feeling was not as intense as anticipated, but it was there.

Part of the mitigation I think was the amount of time I spent in the USA, which is  very close in culture and style to Canada, but sometimes that closeness also highlights the differences.  Walking into the store attached to a gas station, I noticed the things that are not available in the states.  A large number of the chocolate bars are simply not available south of the border, and although in the large scheme of things not being able to buy a Jersey Milk is minor, when added to other things it is something that is missed.

I am not a traveler who insists that things be like home.  The reason I have traveled is to experience other cultures and what they consider normal, but that does not mean I do not miss the comfort foods that I grew up with.  I imagine that folks from the south east USA are disappointed when finding out that deep fried dill pickles are a regional thing, and no, they don't make those in Canada/Oregon/Peru.  I am the type that when I miss a particular type of food a lot, I will set out to make it.  Thus I made cabbage rolls in Guatemala.

- I mean really they make use of a lot of rice, tomato and cabbage, but the idea of a cabbage roll was totally, well foreign, and when I walked past the raw ingredients in the market on a daily basis it got to  craving I knew I could feed-

So, I eased into a junk food binge once I was back on home soil.  A Caramilk bar.  Hawkins Cheezies.  Pepsi ( the difference between US/Canada in most soda is corn syrup vrs cane sugar ).  But all of that is not what I really missed.

People are people wherever you go, and all nations have their share of nice ones and rude ones, but the ones I have had as friends the longest are those I grew up and matured beside.  Those friends, and my family are really what I missed the most, and it is sharing food and snacks and drinks and stories and laughter and solemn moments with them that keeps me moving, because they live to damn far apart to cram all into one room. 

And even if they fit, it would take days to catch up with everyone.

And, ain't nobody got time for dat!

Even in the next six months, traveling from couch to couch, I still will not have time to visit them all, but I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment