Saturday 12 October 2013

On to Florida

I took the I-10 and went through Mississippi and Alabama, entering Florida in about 4 hours of driving.  Most of the trip was very humid, I felt like I should wring out my shirt even though I was not sweating.
Once into Florida, stopped in at the tourist info and a nice lady there suggested staying at Torreya State Park.  It was quiet, out of the way and off the beaten path.  I only took one walk, and at the end when I was quite tired, I found the head of the trail I should have taken.  Sigh.  The trail I took was a nice walk through the woods.

The forest was close to a river and the canopy overhead was very dense and as a result there was little under growth.  In a few areas Palmetto and ferns and a few shrubs grew but for the most part it was quite easy to walk in.  The path overlooked a rim swamp area, which was dry at the time and the pictures from that area did not come out decent.  Mostly it was the same type of tree with thicker undergrowth. For the first half of the trail I kept disturbing the cutest little frogs.  One froze in place and here it is.  Scale does not show, but it was the size of my smallest fingernail.
The frog is near the root to the left of center.

The walk I should have taken went past a civil war artillery emplacement.  The state has chosen to allow nature to reclaim the area, but the shape of the entrenchment can still be made out.  The  Apalachicola River went from the Gulf of Mexico to Athens, Georgia which was the south's industrial base.
Another feature of the park is Gregory House, a restored plantation house with a gorgeous view of the river.  The interior was not open to viewing while I was there.
Note the breeze way separating the kitchen and dining area from the main house.

From the display in the gift shop it is a popular spot for weddings.
And warning to those who do not like spiders.  The below picture is of a banana spider who was about 2 inches long in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment